Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The cultural castration of men in American society.

Yes, I said it. And you and I both know it is true. It is sometimes subtle, and sometimes not.

I look around in our society and I see the gradual demasculinization of men. What do I mean by this?

I mean men being portrayed as weak, insecure, dependent puppy dogs of women. Look at today's commercials. Next time you are watching TV, pay close attention to the commercials. Count how many times, when a couple is shown, that the man actually speaks instead of the woman. Or better yet, count how many times a man is portrayed as a strong figure instead of a bumbling fool in need of his wife's counsel. It is rare.

What made me want to post this? Try taking a stroll through any "prep" store in your local mall.

Today I was shopping for swimming trunks. I had no idea it would be so difficult finding a pair of swimming trunks that didn't reek of absolute metrosexuality. First I made the mistake of looking in Hollister. That store is, well...let's just say it isn't my style. I looked in American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Pac-Sun (God forgive me!). I thought I was witnessing a gay pride parade. Not only were the clothes all things feminine (male and female alike), the males themselves looked like women with facial hair.


Needless to say, I finally found a pair of decent looking non gay swimming trunks from Macy's while saving 40+ bucks.

And I will never make the mistake of shopping in Hollister again.

3 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

And then there are Speedo's!

Pumice said...

Next time you do any people watching check out the young couples that drive into parking lots or even on the street. The women are driving. The women are in charge. My analysis is that the guys find it easier to be "kept men" and let the women go to work while they enjoy the free milk.

And a question. Why would anyone concerned about this subject be shopping in the stores you mentioned?

Grace and Peace

Hack said...

Pumice: Because that's where "supposedly" the good swimming trunks are. Or so I thought.